Tuesday, September 4, 2012

EOC: Week 9 Permission Letters

As an independent makeup artist and stylist I am on location, private shoots, and even asked to be part of events. During the past year I have become heavily involved in my career, and have been creating my personal website. When creating my website I knew what wanted, but not certain how to create it. I wanted music in the background that could have a continuous loop without becoming annoying to my viewers. I also wanted to borrow high-fashion merchandise from various vendors to create my own personal flare as a stylist. While thinking of all the creative content I would like on my website I realized the laws and regulations regarding the use of such content. “Published work, an original work of authorship is only considered published under the Copyright Act when it is first made available to the public on an unrestricted basis. It is thus possible to display work, or distribute it with restrictions on disclosure of its contents, without actually “publishing” it” (Patent,Copyright & Trademark PG320). From doing some research I realized I needed to write “Letters of Permission,” to each person, or sole owner of the intellectual property being used, borrowed or a merchandise agreement. I needed to write four different letters of permission in order to make sure I was doing things legally and respectfully to the creator/owner of the property. The act of “Piracy, a colloquial term without legal significance, piracy is used to describe the illegal activity of willful copyright infringers.” Plagiarism, is the act of deliberately passing off somebody else’s original expression or creative ideas as one’s own. Plagiarism can be a violation under the copyright laws if original expression is copied” (Patent,Copyright & Trademark PG315). The letters of permission grants the borrower, a written and legal agreement allowing the borrower to use the owner’s intellectual property for the reason stated within the letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment